Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A 'new' Cinderella story...(and this time it's a man)

“Yes”. That was the answer that started it all. The dreaming, the planning and all that jazz. What was the question? “Will you go to the prom with me?” I studied four long years in that college and we had prom only once. It wasn’t an extraordinary event (at least not for the 200 other people there) but it was still ‘prom’. She didn’t say yes because she liked me, she didn’t say yes because there was no one else to go to the prom with, the only reason she said yes was because I was the first to ask her. Kinda sad right? Well, it was still a memorable night. Since the day she had agreed, I had been dreaming of the night. Playing it in my mind back and forth, again and again. The reality was…hmmm…how do I put it…’little’ close to what I had dreamed….oh forget it who am I trying to kid…it was nothing like I had dreamed. The first problem…what do I wear? I had nothing good enough. I knew it for a fact she would be looking stunning (even more than ever). I had to at least look worthy of her (if not better). I practically went to every mall, every shop, visited every brand's showroom that is located between santacruz and lower parel. Budget was never an issue. Finally I struck gold at Pantaloons, lower parel. It was just the shirt. I laid eyes upon it and knew it was perfect. ‘Slim fit’. The next problem….How do I manage to go together to the prom? As in, not jus meet up outside the venue…’go together’. Call me orthodox if you will, but I deemed it my responsibility to pick her up from her home and take her to the prom. That’s where my good friend and his car come into the picture. He gave me his car (minus him) to go pick her up. I went to her home and called her up and asked her to 'descend'. Finally, the moment arrived. Believe me when I say this, she was looking…hmmm…how do I put it, ‘stunning’ will be an understatement. She was looking like a princess. My ‘princess’ for the night (and if I had my way, a lot longer) had arrived. I had planned to get her a rose, which of course I forgot. What do you think I am? Perfect? I took as long as I could to reach the prom from there. I wanted to spend as much time possible with her alone. I knew once we reached the prom my magical night would end. She would be swept away by the rest of my friends (I call them friends in retrospect only). That is precisely what happened….my brief, short and sorry fairy tale came to an abrupt end on arrival at the college campus (yes, that’s where we had our prom…I told you it wasn’t an extravagant event). But those few moments together were simply breathtaking.

No comments: